June 6th, 2011
Free Outdoor Jazz Concerts Fridays in Carlsbad
Carlsbad’s TGIF Jazz in the Parks returns for it’s 26th year of free, family-friendly outdoor concert Fridays in June, July and August 2011.
Since 1986, the City of Carlsbad’s Cultural Arts Office has been presenting free concerts of jazz in the city’s parks during the summer. In 1986, there were four concerts, with about 150 people at each concert. Today, concert attendance averages 4,000 for each concert.
The highly popular concerts, known for exceptional performances and great family fun, are an integral part of community life in Carlsbad. Concert-goers are encouraged to pack a picnic, a few low-back chairs and some fine wine and come out to celebrate summer with wonderful live music in the open air. Dancing is encouraged and kids of all ages are welcome.
Note: Pets, personal barbeques, bikes, shade structures (“pop-ups” etc.), smoking, skateboards, skates and roller blades are not permitted in the parks during the concerts. Also, the City of Carlsbad recommends concert-goers wear long-sleeve shirts, long pants, and insect repellent.
The concerts will take place at various outdoor parks in Carlsbad on nine consecutive Friday evenings beginning on Friday, June 24, 2011 and continuing through to Friday, August 19, 2011. This year’s concert lineup is fresh and fun, and features all new performers and bands (with one exception!). The entertaiment lineup continues its mix of popular local performers and acclaimed touring bands from outside the region, covering a wide range of music styles. All concerts begin at 6:00 pm and end at 8:00 pm. Admission to each concert is free.
The 2011 TGIF Jazz in the Parks Concert Series schedule is as follows:
Stagecoach Park – 3420 Camino de los Coches:
- June 24, 2011 – Janiva Magness – Blues
- July 1, 2011* – Yo Mama’s Big Fat Booty Band – Funk
- July 8, 2011 – B-Side Players – Reggae/World
Poinsettia Park – 6600 Hidden Valley Road:
- July 15, 2011 – Johnny Polanco y Su Conjunto Amistad – Latin/Salsa
- July 22, 2011* – The Soul of John Black – Blues/Soul
- July 29, 2011 – Mofo Party Band – Blues
Calavera Hills Park – 2997 Glasgow Drive:
- August 5, 2011 – Big Sam’s Funky Nation – New Oreleans Funk
- August 12, 2011* – John Nemeth – Blues
- August 19, 2011 – Monette Marino-Keita – World
*Art At Jazz – As an extra treat, kids are invited to participate in an art activity at the second concert in each park (July 1, July 22 & August 12, 2011). Art At Jazz offers hands-on visual arts activities for younger TGIF Jazz audience members. Instructors and volunteers guide the children as they make works of art in planned activities. Event runs from 5:30 to 7:30 pm; all supplies are provided.
For Band Bios, directions and other information about the TGIF Jazz in the Parks Concert Series, visit the City of Carlsbad’s 2011 TGIF Jazz in the Parks website.
See you there!
Editor’s Note: While the concerts start at 6:00 pm, it is a good idea to arrive early, as finding parking can be tricky. Get the scoop on parking and free shuttles: Parking at the 2011 TGIF Jazz in the Parks Concert Series
Did we help you today? (1) Share this! (2) Never miss a thing! - Get New Updates via Email
- Now Playing: Shrek - The Musical
- Free Admission – San Diego New Children’s Museum
- Free Family Art Day at the Oceanside Museum of Art
- Kids Free Days at the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park – October 2013
- Kids Free In October 2013 – Museum Month Coupon
- ArtSplash 2013 in Carlsbad
- 2013 Taste of Downtown