June 12th, 2012
Free Outdoor Jazz Concerts Fridays in Carlsbad
Carlsbad’s TGIF Jazz in the Parks returns for its 27th year of free, family-friendly outdoor concerts Fridays in June, July and August 2012.
Since 1986, the City of Carlsbad’s Cultural Arts Office has been presenting free concerts of jazz in the city’s parks during the summer. In 1986, there were four concerts, with about 150 people at each concert. Today, concert attendance averages 4,000 for each concert.
The highly popular concerts, known for exceptional performances and great family fun, are an integral part of community life in Carlsbad. Concert-goers are encouraged to pack a picnic, a few low-back chairs and some fine wine and come out to celebrate summer with wonderful live music in the open air. Dancing is encouraged and kids of all ages are welcome.
Note: Pets, personal barbeques, bikes, shade structures (“pop-ups” etc.), smoking, skateboards, skates and roller blades are not permitted in the parks during the concerts. Also, the City of Carlsbad recommends concert-goers wear long-sleeve shirts, long pants, and insect repellent.
The concerts will take place at various outdoor parks in Carlsbad on nine consecutive Friday evenings beginning on Friday, June 29, 2012 and continuing through to Friday, August 24, 2012. This year’s concert lineup brings back three longtime audience favorites, return engagements by three of 2011’s hottest groups, and three brand new bands…and it all adds up to another summer of great music in Carlsbad! All concerts begin at 6:00 pm and end at 8:00 pm. Admission to each concert is free.
The 2012 TGIF Jazz in the Parks Concert Series schedule is as follows:
Stagecoach Park – 3420 Camino de los Coches:
- June 29, 2012 – Mofo Party Band – Chicago Blues
- July 6, 2012* – Big Time Operator – Big Band Swing
- July 13, 2012 – Café R&B – Soul & Blues
Poinsettia Park – 6600 Hidden Valley Road:
- July 20, 2012 – Steve Lucky & The Rhumba Bums – Jumpin’ Jive & Swing
- July 27, 2012* – B-Side Players – World & Reggae
- August 3, 2012 – Madame Le Roux & Krewe plus Euphoria Brass Band – New Orleans R&B
Calavera Hills Park – 2997 Glasgow Drive:
- August 10, 2012 – Sierra Leone’s Refugee All-Stars – Afro-Pop & World
- August 17, 2012* – Ruby & The Red Hots – Jazz & Blues
- August 24, 2012 – Johnny Polanco Orchestra – Salsa & Latin Jazz
*Art At Jazz – As an extra treat, kids are invited to participate in an art activity at the second concert in each park (July 6, July 27 & August 17, 2012). Art At Jazz offers hands-on visual arts activities for younger TGIF Jazz audience members. Instructors and volunteers guide the children as they make works of art in planned activities. Event runs from 5:30 to 7:30 pm; all supplies are provided.
For Band Bios, directions and other information about the TGIF Jazz in the Parks Concert Series, visit the City of Carlsbad’s 2012 TGIF Jazz in the Parks website.
See you there!
Editor’s Note: While the concerts start at 6:00 pm, it is a good idea to arrive early, as finding parking can be tricky. Get the scoop on parking and free shuttles: Parking at the 2012 TGIF Jazz in the Parks Concert Series
Did we help you today? (1) Share this! (2) Never miss a thing! - Get New Updates via Email
- Now Playing: Shrek - The Musical
- Free Admission – San Diego New Children’s Museum
- Free Family Art Day at the Oceanside Museum of Art
- Kids Free Days at the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park – October 2013
- Kids Free In October 2013 – Museum Month Coupon
- ArtSplash 2013 in Carlsbad
- 2013 Taste of Downtown