June 29th, 2012
June 23 to September 3, 2012 – Nighttime Zoo Is Back for Another Summer of Fun!
Long summer days mean more time for fun at the San Diego Zoo. Beginning June 23, 2012 and continuing through Labor Day, September 3, 2012, the Zoo will be open daily from 9:00 am until 9:00 pm.
The theme of this year’s Nighttime Zoo celebration is China Celebration. To mark the event, the Zoo is welcoming Chinese acrobats and martial artists, a 20 foot long dragon puppet and several new entertainment acts and animal encounters.
Here are some of the fun events, shows and activities guest can expect this summer at the San Diego Zoo:
- Front Street Plaza will be filled with music from the Surfin’ Safari Bush Band, known for their zany, interactive minstrel-style band and antics. Limbo sticks, hula hoops and fun interactive events will have kids and adults alike involved in the organized mayhem.
- Be prepared to be entertained by Steam Powered Giraffe, a self-oscillating live audio projection of Colonel P.A. Walter’s Steam Powered Robots. Their convincing hydraulic movements, robotic harmonies, and fantastical artificial intelligence entertain, while their music provides a cornucopia of richness.
- Take a hilarious, athletic and creative look at music in Dancin’ Through the Decades. The audience will recognize over 30 melodies that rapidly change from moment to moment and will be amazed at the abilities of the dancers as they try desperately to keep up!
- Marvel at the Dragon from Dragon Mountain, a colorful, 20-foot-long serpent brought to life by puppeteers as it sinuously winds through Panda Canyon, mesmerizing viewers along the way in honor of the Year of the Dragon.
- Be entertained and delighted by astounding acrobatic acts throughout the Zoo from the Golden Lion Acrobats and the Jasmine and Jade Jumpers.
- Take part in an extravaganza to end your evening at the Zoo! Every acrobat, stiltwalker, musician, trampoliner, and greeter gathers on Front Street for a three-ring finale. Grab your favorite spot for the Front Street Finale as Doc emerges with his top hat and tails and introduces the carnival procession, led by Professor Featherstone. Carrying festive flags, each group is led by the professor to their personal “spotlight,” where they entertain, carry on, toss beads, and just create a festive flair.
The San Diego Zoo’s Nighttime Zoo celebration takes place June 23, 2012 to Labor Day, September 3, 2012. All activities and entertainment are free with admission. During these summer months, the Zoo will be open from 9:00 am until 9:00 pm.
About the San Diego Zoo:
Located adjacent to downtown San Diego in Balboa Park (at 2920 Zoo Drive, San Diego, CA, 92101), the San Diego Zoo is 100 acres in size and houses over 4,000 animals comprised of more than 800 species from the forests and jungles of the world. The Zoo offers a unique experience, exhibiting animals in the most natural way possible and adding shows and animal presentations throughout the day for additional enjoyment.
The San Diego Zoo is dedicated to the conservation of endangered species and their habitats. The organization focuses on conservation and research work around the globe, educates millions of individuals a year about wildlife and maintains accredited horticultural, animal, library and photo collections. The Zoo also manages the 1,800-acre San Diego Zoo Safari Park (historically referred to as the Wild Animal Park), which includes a 900-acre native species reserve, and the San Diego Zoo Institute for Conservation Research. The important conservation and science work of these entities is supported in part by The Foundation of the Zoological Society of San Diego.
Editor’s Note: Looking for Zoo and Safari Park ticket deals? Get the scoop on how to save: 10 Ticket Deals for the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park (Wild Animal Park)
Did we help you today? (1) Share this! (2) Never miss a thing! - Get New Updates via Email
- Now Playing: Shrek - The Musical
- Free Admission – San Diego New Children’s Museum
- Free Family Art Day at the Oceanside Museum of Art
- Kids Free Days at the San Diego Zoo and Safari Park – October 2013
- Kids Free In October 2013 – Museum Month Coupon
- ArtSplash 2013 in Carlsbad
- 2013 Taste of Downtown