July 12th, 2012
Free Admission and Family Friendly Fun at Aviation Museum
Open Cockpit Days return to San Diego’s Flying Leatherneck Historical Foundation and Aviation Museum – it’s your chance to get inside the cockpits of some historic warplanes and let your imagination run free!
The Aviation Museum is the only museum in the world dedicated to the primary purpose of preserving the history of the US Marine Corps Aviation and it is the only official Marine Corps aviation museum in the western United States. The museum’s mission is to preserve, document, and display historical artifacts so that succeeding generations can reflect on the rich legacy of Marine Aviation. The Museum boasts a collection of more than forty vintage aircraft (including aircraft from WWII, the Korean War and the Vietnam War), a library with extensive research materials, photos, video, valuable memorabilia and many artifacts reflecting the rich traditions of Marine Aviation.
On Open Cockpit Days, visitors are given the unique opportunity to actually climb aboard and get inside the cockpit of several of the Museum’s vintage aircraft and to speak to volunteers who are happy to share their knowledge and recollections.
The following are the dates of the 2012 Open Cockpit Days at the Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum:
- JULY: Saturday, July 21 and Sunday, July 22, 2012
- AUGUST: Saturday, August 4 and Sunday, August 5, 2012
- AUGUST: Saturday, August 18 and Sunday, August 19, 2012
- SEPTEMBER: Saturday, September 1 and Sunday, September 2, 2012 (Labor Day holiday weekend)
The Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum is located directly across the street from 8604 Miramar Road, San Diego, CA (look for the American flag and Marine Corps flag on the fence). The Museum is open Tuesday through Sunday from 9:00 am to 3:30 pm (not open on federal holidays).
Admission is free; donations are graciously accepted. Open Cockpit Days is a free, family friendly event.
Did we help you today? (1) Share this! (2) Never miss a thing! - Get New Updates via Email
- Half Price Frappuccinos at Starbucks - Happy Hour
- College Area Taste 2013
- Discount Tickets to Legoland and Sea Life Aquarium – $15.00 on JACK-FM Family Day
- San Diego Museum Month 2013
- San Diego Restaurant Week - January 2013
- The Art of the Brew - Special Event at Science Center
- Jungle Bells Ring in the Holidays at San Diego Zoo